Wednesday, April 1, 2009
This Isn't Brain Surgery
I've had a number of physically but not mentally challenging jobs where my bosses say, "This isn't brain surgery." I know the idea they are trying to convey, but I interpret it differently even so. If someone at my job tells me that, they should be ready to deal with my mistakes. It's not that I'll go out of my way to screw up, but the fact is I'm a clumsy bastard. When you give me extremely repetitive work, the lack of brain activity actually works against me. I had an office job for almost three years, and I performed consistently well because I had to think some. It kept me focused. I'm two work days into this new direction and already I'm screwing up. I don't consider myself stupid, it's just that my mind starts wandering when all I have to do is walk in a straight line for 300 feet with a spray paint can. So when my boss goes, "this isn't brain surgery," I want to say, "Exactly!" My miscues won't kill anyone, hurt anyone, or cause serious problems. This isn't a billion dollar corporation in a thriving industry. This is a set of baseball fields governed by a guy who's been doing this for 20 years and uses a 2X4 office space. If it was as important as you're making it out to be, you'd be able to fit two people side by side in there. I'd like to apologize that my aspirations in life don't amount to chalking infields for the rest of my days, but I'm not going to. I may be lazy, but I am better than this. And I have no choice but to do it anyway. I don't dislike working outside, getting my hands dirty, and feeling the pain at the end of the day. It's great knowing I've had worse jobs than this. I just hate taking shit off suburban simpletons who can do nothing else in this world and take advantage of that fact by acting high and mighty. So now my pants are around my ankles and I have to take it. I'll go read some Calvin and Hobbes. It builds character.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment