Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I (used to) Work Hard, I (used to) Play Hard

At some point, things started changing. Probably around the time I moved out of San Francisco. I drive around the suburbs and see the occasional bar. An establishment such as this makes perfect sense in a big city such as SF, where public transportation allows the individual to get completely wasted without having to worry about getting home. That and the fact that bars in big cities have unique personalities and atmospheres. The bank I use is in a shopping center here in Pleasant Hill, like everything else here for that matter. Included in its confines is a bar. I have never been inside, but I often walk by out of curiosity. The reason I don't go in is because there are always patron reps outside its doors depicting what lies beyond. Gross white people with their bass fishing shirts tucked into their denim jeans slurring through old sports stories. Like Al Bundy without the clever script. I peek in and it looks like an Applebee's restaurant without the dining area. Then again, who am I to talk shit? There's plenty of stuff that needs fixing in my own world, but I single out others and their idiocies to take the edge off. Insecurity is probably to blame. As much as I'd love to step into that circle and discuss sports with those folks, the fact that I actually don't know too much keeps me at a distance. I start realizing that I know very little about lots of topics rather than very much about a few. I can't hold it together. I turn to music and think maybe I know shit, but I don't. I play a few riffs on my bass, but it doesn't make me a musician. I listen to a few bands, but I can't go into great lengths. I don't even know some of my favorite album names. My cd's are stacked standing, so I recognize them by design and color rather than name. I think I know shit about sports, but I know lots of guys who try talking about it with me only to realize I can only hold it down for a couple minutes before I'm out. I don't know what I know the most about, but I know I don't know much. I should probably do something about that. It would probably help my situation. That shitty bar serving all the blandest beers around isn't sounding too bad right now. I can walk instead of drive, laugh instead of cry, and maybe learn something for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment